Try setting your directory index like this...

        DirectoryIndex default.htm index.htm default.html index.html

this should catch any one of the four files as the index when you enter
http://URL/directory.
Also, make sure "directory" is in your http root path.  See the
httpd.conf file if you're not sure what your root directory is.

Ron