Joe Brenner wrote:

> "Andy Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > As others have aluded to, if you're trying to serve
> > multiple domains (or hostnames) off one IP, you use a
> > system called software virtual hosting.  HTTP/1.1 Supports
> > the Host: field in the http header to resolve to the site
> > domain.
>
> There's a limitation on virtual hosts though, if you want to
> do any kind of ecommerce stuff with SSL (which works via the
> IP number), it won't work if you try to do it with more than
> one of the vhosts.

Yeah, I've scratched my head on that issue before. Eventually I gave up
after reading the mod_ssl docs:

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#vhosts

The most common way to do it is to use IP aliasing to assign multiple
IPs to your server, once for each SSL vhost. I just did a search through
the apache-modssl mailing list, and you can actually do multiple unique
SSL name-based vhosts on the same IP, _if_ use use separate ports for
each. That might be acceptable as well... ie domain1.com is accessed via
https://domain1.com:1000, domain2.com is https://domain2.com:1001, etc.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modssl&w=2&r=1&s=ssl+virtual+host+name+based&q=b

--

Regards,