-> > EXTRA_CFLAGS1=`$(SRCDIR)/apaci`
-> > EXTRA_LIBS=`perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts`
-> > EXTRA_CFLAGS=$(EXTRA_CFLAGS1) `perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ccopts`
->
-> Hmmmm.  Have you tried building without all this messing about with
-> the Makefile?

Bear in mind these are in the instructions for installation for mod_perl ;).

But no, I haven't, because I haven't figured out how to have it (mod_perl)
specify a different path in configuring apache, and I don't want it to
install in the default place.

-> > did make & make install.
->
-> make install as root?

yep.

-> > crashes on first connection attempt to 'localhost:8080/', although
-> > 'localhost:8080/index.html' works fine.
-> [snip]
-> > People have had this error before, to judge from the mailing list
->
-> Can you point me to examples?  I don't recall seeing anything quite
-> like this before.

People have had problems with mod_perl and child pids core dumping, at least;

   http://www.mail-archive.com/modperl@apache.org/msg21703.html

is one of the (~6) messages I found dealing with black-box seg faults...

   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/784385

is another one, to which you responded, in fact ;).  I don't see any
followups from the original person tho.

cheers,
--titus