In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try to call:
> require Fcntl;
> instead.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm afraid the above verbatim produces the following
error on restart:

| Shutting down http:                                        [  OK  ]
| Starting httpd: [Mon Dec 10 20:41:18 2001] [error] syntax error at
| /etc/httpd/lib/perl/modperl.pl line 14, near "require Fcntl"
| BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at
| /etc/httpd/lib/perl/modperl.pl line 15.
| Syntax error on line 395 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
| syntax error at /etc/httpd/lib/perl/modperl.pl line 14, near "require
| Fcntl"
| BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at
| /etc/httpd/lib/perl/modperl.pl line 15.
|                                                           [FAILED]

I should note that /etc/httpd/lib/perl/modperl.pl is my startup script,
and that line 395 of httpd.conf is the PerlRequire directive.  Beyond
that, I'm not at all sure whether the above is especially instructive.

Changing the startup script to:

     require "Fcntl.pm";

instead avoids the error, but displays the same
"pretends-to-restart-OK-but-actually-doesn't" behaviour I described
before.  I should also mention that trying a PerlModule directive instead
doesn't help either.

It's very bewildering!

Cheers,
Andrew.