> IPC::ShareLite freezes/thaws the whole data structure, rather than just
the
> hash element being accessed, IIRC, so is probably going to have extremely
> poor scaling characteristics. Worth adding to check, of course.

No, it's probably not worth it.  It would be worth adding IPC::Shareable
though, because people never believe me when I tell them to use something
else.  Having some numbers would help.

> Another interesting option is mapping a MySQL table data structure
directly
> to the data structure being stored.

That could be useful as part of a comparison for storing non-complex data,
i.e. a single scalar value.

> I'm not sure what a 'standard table' in MySQL is any more... Berkeley,
> MyISAM, ISAM... I guess we can try all these, but that's benchmarking the
DB
> rather than the caching scheme, and we're not about to try every DB server
> we can find!

No, of course not.  It may be that the performance characteristics of these
table types are well known already and I just don't follow the MySQL scene
well enough to know.  I thought maybe the default tables type (MyISAM?)
which doesn't support transactions would have better speed for dirt simple
storage like this.

- Perrin