> Another powerful tool for tracking down performance problems is perl's
> profiler combined with Devel::DProf and Apache::DProf.  Devel::DProf
> is bundled with perl. Apache::DProf is hidden in the Apache-DB package
> on CPAN.

Ya know the place in my original comment where I was optimizing a different
subsystem?  I just discovered Devel::DProf last week (after 5 *years* of
perl... <smacks forehead>), and was using that.  *AND* had improved a sore
spot's performance by 10% without even working hard, because of profiling.
Point taken.

> At the same time I added some code to track the time it takes to
> process a request using Time::HiRes.  This value is set as a note via
> $r->note('REQTIME').  A customlog directive takes care of dumping that
> value in the logs...

Hmm... I was already logging a status message via warn(), I did the SAME
TRICK but stored it in a local variable because I didn't need to go as far
as a customlog...

Sounds like great minds think alike! :-)

L8r,
Rob
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Disclaimer qw/:standard/;