> I was using Cache::SharedMemoryCache on my system.  I figured, "Hey, it's
> RAM, right?  It's gonna be WAY faster than anything disk-based."

The thing you were missing is that on an OS with an aggressively caching
filesystem (like Linux), frequently read files will end up cached in RAM
anyway.  The kernel can usually do a better job of managing an efficient
cache than your program can.

For what it's worth, DeWitt Clinton accompanied his first release of
File::Cache (the precursor to Cache::FileCache) with a benchmark showing
this same thing.  That was the reason File::Cache was created.

And ++ on Paul's comments about Devel::DProf and other profilers.

- Perrin