He he : )  I think this discussion is being miscommunicated (if that is a
relevant word).  I do not want authorization to be performed in the typical
manner.  Perhaps I want the information from a form submit or a cookie.  I
understand how the Apache authentication configuration works but I want to
strictly use mod_perl to modify the authentication mechanisms without the
standard Apache intervention.

> You mean you want to do authorization in a FixupHandler??
No, this is what I currently have to do to avoid Apache from sending the
'auth request' headers to the browser and still perform custom
authentication via a form submit, cookie, etc.

Thanks,