Mod_perl doesn't suck, and it certainly doesn't have a huge hit on the
CPU.  (of course it all depends what you're doing, but for the most part
it's small)

Having used many high level web development environments,  from C to
Java to TCL and perl, I find mod_perl at the top end of the scalability
scale.  Plenty of fast and heavily loaded sites use mod_perl without
throwing tonnes of hardware at it, AND as a side bonus, chances are the
development time was faster than writing in almost anyything else.

I run a wee little web site,  it runs on 4 servers (1 static server, 2
mysql servers, and one mod_perl server)  all told, this hardware cost
about $10k usd.

Yesterday,  the site served 2,000,000 page loads (ads, impressions, how
every you count it), with about 6 Million requests to the mod_perl
server, which in turn passed on about 200 Million requests to the DB
server.  Yes, I struggle with performance, but under most other
development environments I'd have been up against the wall a long time
ago.

Mod_perl is NOT CPU intensive.  It IS memory intensive.  Due to the
architecture of apache, and the memory overhead some care must be taken
when planning a large capacity site, but fortunately all of this is
nicely documented in the guide.

There are other solutions.  Yes, I suppose I could rewrite large parts
of the site in C.  It certainly wouldn't help with development (which is
always patching this, adding feature Z),  it might, maybe reduce some of
the memory overhead.  My largest challenge has actually been to get
mysql (written in C) to properly handle it's share of the workload.

Take a perusal at the Stories section on perl.apache.org
http://perl.apache.org/stories/

ValueClick serves an incredible number of impressions via their mod_perl
systems.

It scales,  it's fast,  and it doesn't take a lot of hardware.

--A