At 03:58 PM 12/14/2001, Jeff Yoak wrote:
>At 09:15 PM 12/14/2001 +0100, Thomas Eibner wrote:
>>The key to mod_perl development is speed, there are numerous testimonials
>>from users implementing a lot of work in a very short time with mod_perl.
>>Ask the clients investor wheter he wants to pay for having everything you
>>did rewritten as an Apache module in C. That is very likely going to take
>>a lot of time.
>
>Thank you for your reply.  I realized in reading it that my tone leads one
>to the common image of a buzzword driven doody-head who wants this because
>of what he read in Byte.  That's certainly common enough, and I've never
>had a problem dealing with such types.  (Well... not an unsolvable
>problem... :-)
>
>This is something different.  The investor is in a related business, and
>has developed substantially similar software for years.  And it is really
>good.  What's worse is that my normal, biggest argument isn't compelling
>in this case, that by the time this would be done in C, I'd be doing
>contract work on Mars.  The investor claims to have evaluated Perl vs. C
>years ago, to have witnessed that every single hit on the webserver under
>mod_perl causes a CPU usage spike that isn't seen with C, and that under
>heavy load mod_perl completely falls apart where C doesn't.  (This code
>is, of course, LONG gone so I can't evaluate it for whether the C was good
>and the Perl was screwy.)  At any rate, because of this, he's spent years
>having good stuff written in C.  Unbeknownst to either me or my client,
>both this software and its developer were available to us, so in this case
>it would have been faster, cheaper and honestly even better, by which I
>mean more fully-featured.

CPU usage is certainly one factor... but CPUs are cheap compared to
development man-hours.

Since you haven't provided any details on the application, this may not be
relevant, but most of the web apps that we write (and I read about
here)  spend much of their time waiting for responses from other back-end
servers - databases, NFS mounted file systems, or whatever. It's probably
undeniable that a well written C application will run faster than almost
anything in an interpreted language, but that may not make much of a
difference to the total response time.

-Simon

Simon Rosenthal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Web Systems Architect
Northern Light Technology
One Athenaeum Street. Suite 1700, Cambridge, MA  02142
Phone:  (617)621-5296: URL:  http://www.northernlight.com
"Northern Light - Just what you've been searching for"