> So I'm trying to show that mod_perl doesn't suck, and that it is, in fact,
> a reasonable choice.  Though within these limits it is still reasonable to
> point out the development cycle, emotionally it is the least compelling
> form of argument, because the investor has a hard time removing from
> consideration that given our particular situation, there was a very fast
> solution in using his C-based routines.

Well, that is the primary reason for using Perl over C, and you really have
to count maintenance and the relative likelihood of C-ish bugs like buffer
overflows as part of it.

Well-coded C should be faster than Perl, but Perl is fast enough for nearly
any web-based application.  If this guy saw CPU spikes, he probably had
something else wrong, like running out of memory.

You might find this article aboout C and Perl performance useful:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/06/27/ctoperl.html

- Perrin