> So our solution was caching in-process with just a hash, and using a
> DBI/mysql persistent store.
> in pseudo code
> sub get_stuff {
> if (! $cache{$whatever} ) {
> if !( $cache{whatever} = dbi_lookup()) {
> $cache{$whatever}=derive_data_from_original_source($whatever);
> dbi_save($cache_whatever);
> }
> }
> $cache{$whatever}
> }

That's actually a bit different.  That would fail to notice updates between
processes until the in-memory cache was cleared.  Still very useful for
read-only data or data that can be out of sync for some period though.

> The filesystem based / time sensitive aging is a nice little thing we
should
> put up in CPAN. We've just not done so yet.

How does it differ from the other solutions like Cache::FileCache?  Is it
something you could add to an existing module?

- Perrin