Ok, now i'm totally confused. From the top:

1. I have the following (and ONLY the following related to modperl) in my
httpd.conf file (of course there are other regular apache directives too):
        AddModule mod_perl.c

In a subdirectory there's an .htaccess file containing this reference to
modperl:
        <Files *>
                SetHandler perl-script
                PerlHandler Apache::Registry
                Options ExecCGI
                PerlSendHeader On
        </Files>

These are the only references to modperl that I have. TWiki is the only perl
app that I run, so I thought I only needed the lines in the .htaccess file.
I have changed the line reading "PerlHandler Apache::Registry" to
"Perlhandler Apache::PerlRun" as you suggested, and it results in the error
I reported to you.'

I would really appreciate it if you would tell me exactly what I should do
to implement this alternative you've suggested.

Sincerely,

Dave LeBlanc