At 4:01 PM -0800 1/23/02, Paul Mineiro wrote:
>Paul Mineiro wrote:
>
>i've cleaned up the example to tighten the case:
>
>the mod perl code  snippet is:
>
>---
>
> my @cg;
> open DIL, '>', "/tmp/seqdata";
> print DIL $seq;
> close DIL;
> warn "length seq = @{[length ($seq)]}";
> my $t = timeit (1, sub {
>                       while ($seq =~ /CG/g)
>                         {
>                           push @cg, pos ($seq);
>                         }
>                    });
> print STDERR timestr ($t), "\n";

I just ran this on my system here... It's completely unloaded (load
average: 0.11, 0.08, 0.02)

Result:

0 wallclock secs ( 0.06 usr + 0.00 sys = 0.06 CPU) @ 16.67/s (n=1)

I ran it on a file that I created with

perl -e "print 'ABCGEFSK' x 25000" > /tmp/seqdata

Which created 25000 entires into @cg.

Your system has to be swapping horribly.  I bet that the ulimit for
whoever apache is running as has the memory segment set super low.

Double check everything and if that doesn't work, recompile.

Rob

--
When I used a Mac, they laughed because I had no command prompt. When
I used Linux, they laughed because I had no GUI.