Perrin Harkins wrote:

>>Your system has to be swapping horribly.  I bet that the ulimit for
>>whoever apache is running as has the memory segment set super low.

apache is running as me on my unloaded desktop (no way this is going to
production until i figure this out).  my ulimit -v is unlimited.

>That's a possibility.  I was also thinking that maybe mod_perl was built
>against a different version of Perl, possibly one that has a problem
>with this particular regex which was fixed in a later version.

both mod_perl and the script are using the debian packaged perl/libperl,
the perl -V dump was given in the initial message.

oh, and $seq is a normal scalar, not a tied one.

-- p