On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Andrew Ho wrote:

> One last thing that is hard is where is your DocumentRoot? This is a huge
> problem for web applications being installable "out of the box." Perl
> can't necessarily figure that out by itself, either.

You take a guess and then ask the user to confirm.  And you can't guess
you just ask.

There's nothing wrong with an interactive installer.  What kills mod_perl
apps is they simply have a README or INSTALL that says "Copy all the
template files to a directory called 'app-root' under your document root."

> I guess my point is that installation is hard. Rather than trying to make
> it work for everybody out of the box, you should make it work for the
> typical case out of the box, and then provide hooks for installing it in
> custom places.

I think the best installer is an interactive installer that tries really
hard to provide good defaults.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun