Heyas,

BH>Anyone know of good guides or general info on
BH>performance testing and emulating real use of
BH>an application.

As a general rule, it's easiest if you have a production system already
running. Record all information that you need to reproduce the requests
(typically, HTTP request headers and POST data if applicable), from a
production server and you can replay any amount of data on a sandboxed QA
environment. You can either eliminate or proportionally shorten the time
period between requests to space out load arbitrarily.

This is extremely effective if you have enough real user data because
you're not inventing user load. You're using real user load.

I don't know of any product that does this all at once, but it's not hard
to hack together. If your site is entirely GET based, you can probably
just make do with parsing access logs and turning those into requests. I
believe Apache::DumpHeaders might get you most of the way on the capturing
side if you need special headers, cookies, or POST information.

Feeding scripts into commercial products like SilkPerformer will give you
the best client side testing and reports. However, a homebrew Perl user
agent will do okay, too. Unfortunately, ab doesn't support taking in a
custom URL workload.

For a simple record/replay load test tool that works remarkably well,
check out the resource CD that ships with Windows 2000 and you will find
the Microsoft Web Stress Tester. It's free and GUI based and can record IE
sessions and replay them with an arbitrary number of threads. It uses
Access databases to hold the tests and results so you can probably use
Perl on Windows to populate it with your custom tests.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Engineer                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101