Jauder Ho wrote:
> Another application (commercial) is Mercury Interactive's LoadRunner.

My experience with commercial load-testing apps is that they are
outrageously expensive, a pain to program, don't really scale all that
well, and mostly have to run on Windows with someone sitting at the
mouse.  There are some that work better than others, but the free stuff
in this areas is quite good.

I recommend httperf and http_load for banging on lists of URLs really
hard.  At eToys, one of our developers rigged up some shell scripts that
would play back log files through httperf and that worked pretty well.

If you want to record browser sessions for testing specific paths
through the site, look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/http-recorder/
or http://sourceforge.net/projects/roboweb/.  There's also webchatpp,
HTTP::WebTest, and HTTP::MonkeyWrench on CPAN.  All of these have been
discussed on this list before.

- Perrin