> No, I can't explain the nitty gritty either. :-)
>
> Someone should write up a summary of this thread and ask in a
> technical linux place, or maybe ask Dean Gaudet.

I believe this is a linux/perl issue... stand alone daemons exhibit the
same behaviour... e.g. if you've got a parent PERL daemon that
fork()s ...  swapping in data from a child does _not_ have any
affect on other copies of that memory. I'm sure swapping in the
memory of the parent before fork()ing would be fine....

Admittedly, my experience is from old linux kernels (2.0), but I
would not be suprised if current ones are similar.

I'm sure it is the same on some other platforms, but I haven't used much
else for a long time.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | Put all your eggs in one basket and
http://BareMetal.com/  |      WATCH THAT BASKET!
web hosting since '95  | - Mark Twain