Hello,

WK>A single button that matches the logo will be simplier, and more
WK>distinct. Too many choices is making it harder for the newcomers.

I agree here. But then, TMTOWTDI is a big part of Perl culture. I suggest
a democratic solution: present the logo and the favorite logo-based button
as "the" logo and button. Then, also present a page which has some
alternate buttons on it, including the two winners of the present contest.
Make the page with the official logo and button easy to find so users will
see it first.

Since there was a landslide winner I would say there is probably no need
for alternate logos although it may be interesting for historical reasons
(the Google logo archives do it the right way, in my opinion:
http://www.google.com/stickers.html).

DR>I really like the new logo, and in fact I voted for it. However, I just
DR>realized that the logo uses "modperl", whereas mod_perl's name is
DR>"mod_perl", with the underscore. Does anyone else see this as a problem?

BM>It's a graphic design so I don't see that it needs to follow the Apache
BM>module naming convention exactly... It's a design -- it doesn't have to
BM>be accurate to the name.

I agree with both these statements. I think the issue isn't that the
design must follow the name, but that users often get confused between the
two, and if the design doesn't follow the name, that confusion will
certainly be exacerbated. Of course, this is probably not a big problem as
long as the conventional term is used in the documentation and website and
as long as "modperl" on Google leads to the mod_perl site.

I might also point out that any mod_perl hostnames come out as modperl
(since underscores are not allowed in hostnames) and that modperl is often
used as a directory name even though underscores ARE allowed in filenames.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Engineer                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101