> A thought - what about putting the suggestion of an underscore by
> putting bars underneath the d and p of "modperl"? Just a suggestion
> to Michael as presumably he is revisting the design for the buttons.

This is a funny discussion. Although not my favorite Logo has been
elected, I confirm the need of a uniform design over all logo
representations!

> so why do we cling to mod_perl as a name?  i suppose for the familiar
> historical reasons, it's a fond term of endearment to us.  but it would be
> more descriptive to call it "The Apache perl API" or "Apache-Embedded perl",
> would it not?  it behooves us to ride along on Apache's name-recognition
> doesn't it?

To make things thing even more complicated I agree the need of a name
with a sounding image, which will help mod_perl to grow into corporate
computing (our future jobs).

Recently I had a discussion with a Java programmer, who said that
mod_perl is a try to save the obsolete language Perl. His argument was
that only Java programmers are searched, especially here in Europe.

So I see three requirements:
 - Having a name and logo which tells the truth,
   it's Perl and it was good.
 - The name should defer to Perl, should be it's own brand.
 - The sounding must be stronger then API

> putting bars underneath the d and p of "modperl"? Just a suggestion

First I liked the idea 'DP' oder 'dPerl'. On the other hand we
have the A, which stands for Apache, Application ... A is first, is
best.

So I came to aPerl or Parl 'Practical Application R* Language'?
On and on just some funny thoughts :-)

BR Christian

========== beginn original ==========
Date: Freitag, 15. März 2002, 11:03:59
Subject: [ANNOUNCE]  The New "mod_perl" logo - results now in...

Fellow mod_perl hackers...

It is with great pleasure that I am able to introduce you to the new
mod_perl logo.  So, without further ado, point your web-browsers at:

http://beverley2.digital-word.com/mod_perl/winner/

The winning logo, designed by Michael Demers (mike [at] inteo.com), won
by a very clear majority.  Congratulations Mike, and thanks for a great
effort!

The new mod_perl button vote resulted in a tie between two designs:
Juergen Spechts' (the existing button) and new design by Tyler
Rorabaugh.  Following a brief discussion with Stas (stas [at]
stason.org), I think it might be a good idea to have several mod_perl
buttons, the idea being that a designer can then choose a button that
doesn't conflict with his/her design.

However, I request your comments on this idea:  should we have just one
button (helping to develop a distinct identity for mod_perl) or should
we have several (for choice)?  It's up to you...

Thank you to everyone who participated in this project.  Kudos to the
designers for their efforts.  Thanks to Stas for his input and ideas,
and Eric Cholet for the voting script.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/  <--  Temporarily off-line