:: I agree here. But then, TMTOWTDI is a big part of Perl
:: culture. I suggest a democratic solution: present the logo
:: and the favorite logo-based button as "the" logo and button.
:: Then, also present a page which has some alternate buttons
:: on it, including the two winners of the present contest.
:: Make the page with the official logo and button easy to find
:: so users will see it first.

But an important part of any "product" is its brand.  I personally
believe that the logo/button/banner should be uniform throughout, with
one font and one colour scheme.  One area where we do have creative
license is with banners - providing that the recognised mod_perl logo
still features within.

:: Since there was a landslide winner I would say there is
:: probably no need for alternate logos although it may be
:: interesting for historical reasons (the Google logo archives
:: do it the right way, in my opinion:
:: http://www.google.com/stickers.html).

The logos at http://beverley2.digital-word.com/mod_perl/ will remain
online "forever" for historical/nostalgic purposes.

:: DR>I really like the
:: new logo, and in fact I voted for it. However, I
:: DR>just realized that the logo uses "modperl", whereas
:: mod_perl's name
:: DR>is "mod_perl", with the underscore. Does anyone else see
:: this as a
:: DR>problem?
::
:: BM>It's a graphic design so I don't see that it needs to follow the
:: BM>Apache module naming convention exactly... It's a design -- it
:: BM>doesn't have to be accurate to the name.
::
:: I agree with both these statements. I think the issue isn't
:: that the design must follow the name, but that users often
:: get confused between the two, and if the design doesn't
:: follow the name, that confusion will certainly be
:: exacerbated. Of course, this is probably not a big problem
:: as long as the conventional term is used in the
:: documentation and website and as long as "modperl" on Google
:: leads to the mod_perl site.

I think the logo should feature an underscore, however it's used.  We
are promoting a brand, a product...  its name needs to be consistent
wherever it's used - how else will we get pointy-haired bosses to
recognise it?

:: I might also point out that any mod_perl hostnames come out
:: as modperl (since underscores are not allowed in hostnames)
:: and that modperl is often used as a directory name even
:: though underscores ARE allowed in filenames.

I don't think that's relevant at all.  People name their files and
directories in whatever way suits them.  And hostnames, well that's just
a convention we can do nothing about and, thus, a non-issue.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/  <--  Temporarily off-line
http://wypug.digital-word.com/