Hi John,

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, John Kolvereid wrote:

>   Thanks for sticking in there w/ me.

:)

>  There are a great many options and the number
> of combinations is awesome.

True, but there's no point worrying about the number of combinations,
you need to worry about setting things up the way you want them.

> Only 1 is correct,

It's not really like that.  (You just have to decide how you want
things to be set up...:)

> I ran the build again for the mod_perl and apache using
> APACHE_PREFIX and APACHE_SRC and SSL_BASE.  When finished I tried
> the apachectl startssl and got the same LoadModule error as before.

I really think you should forget ssl for the moment until you get a
grip on compiling and configuring Apache and mod_perl.  And PLEASE
don't run apachectl until you know what it's going to do.  You can
start Apache without using a script.

> I tried the httpd -l and mod_so.c WAS present.  To be certain I did
> a 'which httpd'.  It was using the one in /usr/sbin but that's not
> new, it is dated Oct 19 2000.

That's not the one you're running.  'which' tells you what will be
used if you call the binary directly without giving the full path to
the binary, but if you try to run it with 'apachectl' then you could
be using a different one.  Why not just delete it, or rename it if you
want to keep it?  Keep a notebook to record the changes you make so
that you don't forget what you've changed.  In my last message I asked
you to run the binary by calling it with the full path name.  Don't
rely on the path in your environment by running a binary without the
full path name at this stage, you'll only confuse yourself even more.

> Moreover, the httpd.conf in the conf directory is dated Mar 4.

When you do 'make install' the scripts won't overwrite your existing
configuration.  If you delete, rename or move the conf directory and
then re-install you'll get a new httpd.conf.

> There is one dated Mar 17 (today) named httpd.conf.default but it
> does not include any reference to mod_perl.

If you compile mod_perl in statically it doesn't have to have a
loadmodule directive for mod_perl - in fact it shouldn't have one.
You need a completely new httpd.conf which is installed at the time
you build Apache and mod_perl.  But do please read it when you've
finally made it, because there are as you have said lots of things
you need to think about.

> What should I try next.

All the things I've said in my last three messages.  They *will* work
if you clean everything up like I said, RedHat 6.2 really has no
problems with Apache and mod_perl.

73,
Ged.