Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build mod_perl 1.26 and Apache 1.3.24 on Solaris 8. I
> have Perl 5.6.1 on the machine. I am building mod_perl as follows:
>
> perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1 \
> APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.24/src USE_APACI=1 \
> PREP_HTTPD=1 DO_HTTPD=1
>
> make
> make install
>
> I then change into the apache_1.3.24 directory and do
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
> --enable-module=all --enable-shared=max \
> --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a
> --enable-module=perl --disable-shared=perl
>
> make
> make install
>
> This all goes well, and I end up with an Apache installation in
> /usr/local/apache. However, I cannot start this. Doing a httpd -t
> gives me the following error:
>  [7:13pm]# bin/httpd -t
> Syntax error on line 231 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_auth_db.so into server:
> ld.so.1: bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file
> /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_auth_db.so: symbol db_open: referenced
> symbol not found
>
> If I comment out the mod_auth_db lines in my config and try again I
> get :
>  [7:14pm]# ../bin/httpd -t
> Syntax error on line 233 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libproxy.so into server:
> ld.so.1: ../bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file
> /usr/local/apache/libexec/libproxy.so: symbol __floatdisf: referenced
> symbol not found
>
> When I comment this one out, the server starts. But I need mod_proxy
> for this site :(
>
> This only seems to happen on Solaris. I've tested on FreeBSD 4.3,
> FreeBSD 4.5 and Debian GNU/Linux (Woody) and not been able to
> replicate this error. However doing the above steps on another Solaris
> 8 box seems to have the same problems.
>
> Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,

This one is easy.  Include the ssl library with

env LIBRARIES=' -L<therightdirectory> -lssl -lcrypto

I hope you have bettter luck then I have.  I got past this, and I have
not been able to get GCC to link mod_perl in at all. Static or DSO. I'm
going to load the Forte compiler and try again Monday.  I've never
failed on getting stuff like this to compile and run correctly, and
I'm not going to start now.