On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 11:49:24PM -0400, Eric Frazier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am finally finding yes, there could be a reason for me to use this, I want
> to avoid SOAP, partly because of the license crap(fear), but also because I
> figure that XMLRPC will be easier to learn at first and likely will fit my
> small needs. But as I look at examples and various tools that support
> working with Perl they often are of a nature of a CGI and a standalone
> client. My needs aren't that small :)  The only Apache modules I have found
> are with the SOAP::Lite module.
>
> So what do the you people recommend? I have found several, Frontier::RPC,
> there is a SOAP::Lite XML::RPC module, but it depends on SOAP::Lite which I
> find confusing, there is just RPC::XML on CPAN. Most important though, I of
> course want to run the server with mod_perl which is the only reason I
> consider this post to be somewhat on topic, I really want to use mod_perl
> with this and what group would be better to advise me on that :)
>
> What I want to be able to do is to expose some simple method calls, along
> with some hash data to a Java client. Say like a parser object from
> HTML::Parser. The client will be Java, but I get the idea that shouldn't
> really matter. Sorry if my terminology is off, I am swimming a bit..

I think you'll find RPC::XML to be a solidly engineered module.  I've
used it as a client and as a server to good effect.  It includes
stand-alone, CGI, and mod_perl based servers and a very nice client.

If all you need is simple RPC calls I find that XML-RPC provides a
much more straightforward environment.  Even with my background in
http based rpc systems it took me a while to pick up on the
idiosyncrasies of SOAP.

--
Paul Lindner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org/
         Human Rights Declaration   http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/