Greetings,

[...]
>Hi
>
> about combinatorial I think not only compat2 is involved here
> in test suites I have ran
[...]

Wow. this is great detective work you have done Pascal.
I have tried to go deeper and actually debug the thing. However, while I can
get a debug version of apache I am stumped on a few counts:

o) mod_perl does not compile with MP_DEBUG=1
  (complains about an undefined _MP_debug_level) - and I doubt it is doing
THE RIGHT
  THING anyways, because it adds a truely gcc-ish  '-g' flag to the command
line...

o) mod_perl does not build against 5.007003 bleadperl
   (I wanted to test whether bleadperl had the same problem)

o) the crash erases the call stack so all I can do is staring  at

mov         edi,dword ptr [esi]

Not very useful.

And for the "Curioser and curioser!" department: I happened to run the test
suite with
a shell anvironment containing DEBUG=0 and TRACE=0 (ask not why...). Under
these circumstances the test suite spins endlessly on conftree.t (rather
than crashing). Folklore, perhaps, and hardly an improvement, but I am
wondering who is checking those two variables? If I remove them from my
environment, I get my  old friend "the crash" back.

Cheers,
alf