Tom:

No, same error_log as usual.  I think this problem may have something to do
with my host. I am on a "virtual private server", not dedicated, although,
I do have root access.

The way they configure the servers load in a portion of the mod_perl
directives before my Location block, i.e., my vhosts.conf call looks like this:

# mod_perl setup
Alias /perl /usr/local/www/vhosts/host.com/perl
PerlSetEnv PERLDB_OPTS "NonStop=1 LineInfo=/tmp/db.out AutoTrace=1 frame=2"
PerlModule Apache::DB
PerlWarn On
PerlTaintCheck On
<Location "/perl">
   PerlFixupHandler  Apache::DB
   SetHandler           perl-script
   PerlHandler           Apache::Registry
   Options                ExecCGI
   allow from             all
   PerlSendHeader    Off
</Location>
# end mod_perl setup

Notice that I do NOT need to call PerlModule Apache::Registry.  It is
already loaded.

I may give up on the startup.pl file and simply add a <Perl>...</Perl>
section directly. Will this solve the problem?

Gregory