> It seems that Apache::AuthCookie allows a way to make areas
> to which one can authenticate if s/he wants. I suppose that
> then in those areas you can tell if the user is logged in
> and affect the pages if so.

Indeed the best option would be to be using one of the Apache::Session
module and use the provided hash to store the login information. I have
read the whole portion of the eagle book dedicated to authentication /
authorization before posting my crack-smoked question to the list ;-)

Unfortunatly:

* For political reasons and compliance with future european legislation
  I cannot use cookies,

* For usability reasons encoding session IDs on URIs would be really
  bad... users needs to be able to 'hack' the URIs without f***ing their
  sessions!

Therefore I have to use HTTP authentication...
Cheers,
--
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director