David Wheeler wrote:
 > Why should Apache->print ever time out?

One reason could be a web client that disconnects.  There could also be
a dropped network connection or one that's too slow.  I think you can
adjust this behavior with the TimeOut directive in httpd.conf.

> I didn't even know that timing out was
> something that a print method could do.

This isn't the same thing as CORE::print.  It's overriden for mod_perl
to send to the network.  Even CORE::print can return false in certain
conditions, like when writing a file when the disk is full.

> And why does it only happen for some
> browser/platform combinations?

Probably buggy browsers or TCP stacks.

- Perrin