Ron Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:32:51 -0500, James G Smith wrote:
>>James G Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>The distribution is available on CPAN (soon -- has been uploaded)
>>>and
>>>at http://sourceforge.net/project/gestinanna/
>>
>>Make that http://sourceforge.net/projects/gestinanna/
>
>There are some state machine modules in CPAN already, under the
>prefix DFA:: for Discrete Finite Automata. Do we really need a
>separate prefix StateMachine:: for this?

Actually, state machines exist under DFA::, POE::, and a host of
other specialized name spaces.

>For the record, DFA was suggested to me when I asked for module name
>suggestions, because it (DFA) was already in use when I wanted to
>submit my module.

StateMachine:: was the most recent (actually, only) suggestion made
on the modules@ list outside of POE::, but POE:: doesn't fit the type
of machine I need.  If it's strictly a DFA, then it could go under
the DFA:: namespace just as well, though NFA:: would be a
more-encompassing namespace :/.  It is potentially
non-deterministic.

http://search-beta.cpan.org/modlist/Control_Flow_Utilities

http://search-beta.cpan.org/search?mode=all&query=state+machine
(finds 2200+ entries) of which the following seem to be genuine state
machines (from the first 500 results).

  Bio::Tools::StateMachine::AbstractStateMachine
  Bio::Tools::StateMachine::IOStateMachine
  CGI::MxScreen
  Decision::Markov
  DFA::Command
  DFA::Kleene
  DFA::Simple
  POE::NFA
  POE::Session
  Set::FA
  Wizard::State
  XML::SAX::Machines
--
James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix