Jonathan Lonsdale wrote:
> 2. Distinct content handlers each with their own Location directive. Could
> be a pain to maintain the server config.

You would typically have a single handler that covers one "application"
with many screens, so instead of having an entry there for every
template you would have a just a small number of entries for
applications like a shopping cart or a message board.  The applications
then manage which template to send out on each request using their own
internal logic.  Things like CGI::Application and Apache::PageKit are a
formalization of this approach.

People often seem to get bent out of shape about putting a few Location
directives in httpd.conf, but I find it simple to manage and like doing
this the standard way.  Having Location directives lets you use all of
the normal Apache config options for access control, customized logging,
etc. without inventing your own config system.  There are exceptional
situations (a requirement to add new handlers without a restart, for
example), but most people will be just fine doing it the old-fashioned way.

- Perrin