From: Per Einar Ellefsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> dir_config is the Perl{Set,Add}Var configuration...

Yep, you're right. But I'm sort of grasping at straws at this point.

> You can just add that and let your handler decide regardless of the value
> of requires...

Yes, but there are side effects:

1. When the access handler finds a URI that doesn't need authentication turned on:

  # httpd.conf
  <Location />
    require jack handy
  </Location>

  # Access handler
  return OK;  # Since we don't care about the current URI.

  # Error log
  Some::handler(): Starting in [PerlAccessHandler].
  Some::handler(): This uri [/one/onezie.fil] not under access control, returning OK.
  configuration error:  couldn't perform authentication. AuthType \
    not set!: /one/onezie.fil

  Although on areas where authentication is desired, this method works fine. We just
  have to set r->auth_type and r->auth_name before returning from access control.

2. I don't want to have to add several lines to each <VirtualHost> that I use this
  code in. Instead, we add a single handler at the URI Translation phase and let it
  set up the rest of the handlers for the request. Actually, we already have a
  system doing this and are very happy with the results. This Authen handler is just
  intended to be an add-on to that.

> ...which is accessed through $r->requires btw...

Ah, you're right. Thank you. Unfortunately, this is read-only.

---
Rodney Broom
President, R.Broom Consulting
http://www.rbroom.com/