Oops, forgot to reply to list.

To: Eric Cholet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: evil scripts kill the server...
From: Ilya Martynov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

EC> Yes, please explain how careless programming practice can make root
EC> access available to the world. Apache by default runs under the
EC> unpriviliged user 'nobody', seems to me that giving root access to
EC> the world would require running Apache as root, not something which
EC> can be achieved only by careless programming. Am I missing something?

Often Apache is started as root initially (to let it bind low number
ports like 80) and later switches to other UID to serve client
requests. One implication of this scheme is that when Perl modules are
preloaded during Apache startup Apache runs as root. So some
programming errors in code which is preloaded combined with such setup
actually may lead to root exploit.

Though it should be hard to exploit as normally client requests don't
affect startup stage and thus cannot interact potentially insecure
code.

--
Ilya Martynov,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CTO IPonWEB (UK) Ltd