On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:28:11 +0000 (GMT)
> Franck PORCHER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Let's prey that those PHP geeks quickly discover the
> > true joy of working with functionnals (map and al.).
> > I have often wondered about the ratio of Perl programmers
> > still using the C-like <for> construct. I guess it's rather low.
> >

> But <for> is a lot easier to read and debug, IMHO ....  Is there a
> significant performance difference in using map instead?

My experience is that in most cases, the <for> construct is used
to apply the same treatment to all the elements of an array,
whence the <map> construct. In those cases, the readibility
is definitely altered by the index that get
in the way.

I think that the adoption of map is mostly cultural, depending
on one's background experience with functionnal programming,
basically splitting the way of thinking about collections of
objects between the <array/for> construct (fortran programmers
for instance) and <list/map> construct (lisp programmers).

Of course, this is a quick analysis not taking into account other
factors like readibility versus efficiency.

In fact, regarding the efficiency of the <map> construct,
I often wondered whether Perl detects <map> being ran in a void context, so as
to give it an iterative interpretation, avoiding to build the output
list.

Does someone know about this ?

Franck.

> --M.

ESSENTIAL SOFTWARE - Ingénierie Informatique
Solutions Linux & Open Source en Polynésie française
http://www.esoft.pf/
Tél: (689) 562 395 / 508 288-289

"Lassé des virus?
 Osez Linux, le choix moderne des gouvernements
 et des entreprises Fortune 500"