snip...
> - Perrin

Have to agree 100% with Perrin - in my experience, refactoring for
performance is often used as an excuse for 'rewrite in my style',
and at this point, future maintainability is usually severly
compromised. Someone decides to replace all foreach loops with map,
because this is more advanced and kewl.

Does anyone else here remember the COBOL construct ALTER GOTO? I knew
a chap who styled himself 'Super Hot Software Systems', whose favourite
thing was ALTER GOTO - mmmm he soon got told where to go to! Look it
up - it's a nightmare.

Another time, a contractor working for me complained bitterly about
someone elses obtuse code and lack of comments - the other party
said 'Why don't you scroll up?', which he did - lo and behold, about
two pages of beautiful comment. Mmmm as he read the comments, from
the top, the complainant highlighted each line [easier to read] and
when he understood the point of it all, pressed Enter - not
realising that this replaced two screens of comment with an empty
line... ah ha! we finally figured out the answer to the song:
'Where have all the comments gone?'

8-)