> namely "i had a bad feeling about this.  we should not be implementing
> escape_html to begin with, the functionality should all be in apache."
> (...)

The main point in this case: someone decided to escape " (double
quote) in escape_html. For HTML, ' (single quote) is practically
equivalent (and can be used at the same places for the same
purpose). I see no reason to differentiate handling of single and
double quote while generating HTML pages.

The reason to use escape_html vs HTML::Entities is clear - the
speed. And at least in my case one needs to escape just <, >, &, " and '
- the characters which can spoil the way browser interprets HTML.

--
( Marcin Kasperski   | Software is not released, it is allowed to escape.    )
( http://www.mk.w.pl |                                                       )