Terra Info wrote:
The threads issue is my bag. I know better but was busy and distracted, hence I just did a reply to all and trimmed out the excess.
No prob. the comment was addressed to all subscribers.

Anyhow, I think you may have misunderstood my question. Although I have a specific issue at hand, my question was more generic. My questions are more related to the overall design of mod_perl and its effects on the functioning of Apache's other components. Anyhow, in answer to your question, I have not tried it under mod_perl 1 or 2 because this script would never function under them. It is that poorly written.
I meant the Apache::PerlRun from mod_perl 1.0. Obviously I wasn't trying to suggest for you to run it as a pure handler ;)

Notice that ModPerl::PerlRun and others aren't exactly the same as their 1.0 counterparts. Due to the threading issues, currently 2.0's registry aren't chdir()'ing to the scripts directory. That may change in the future. But this may be unrelated to your problem.

So, is there any link between mod_perl (1.99..) and mod_cgi (Apache 2)?
No.

Does mod_perl in anyway influence or maybe cause PerlRun like caching under mod_cgi?
The two has nothing to do with each other.

I realize the answers are probably no but I am at my wits end with this bug and am trying to elminate things as causes that normally I would not even think were related.
So you have a better handle on why I am asking, I have a script that runs fine from the cmd line under all parameter combinations, runs fine in most situations under CGI but when a few param combinations occur it fails to execute to completion. The odd thing is the place it hangs up is the line before exit;. I added a warn('foo at line nnn') after every line and it warns all they way to the line for exit; but never exists and apache tells me that the script times out. That combined with the fact that the script, when executed on the command line, under a faked up ENV that matches exactly what it gets from httpd runs flawlessly and to completion, seems to suggest something is happening in the in-process handling of the CGI script. Does that problem lie in mod_cgi, perl or in some funky interaction between components? With some of the symptoms I saw I wanted to rule out mod_perl before I went any further.
Thanks and I hope this made it more clear what I was looking for and why,
I still don't understand you. When do you see the problem? When you run the script under mod_cgi or mod_perl? I don't understand why do you keep referring to mod_cgi.

And we are talking about Apache/mod_perl 2.0 here, right?