On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 08:42, Paolo Campanella wrote:
> Pretend
> for a moment that you have no specific knowledge of the library which
> causes this problem: is there any black box approach to stopping some
> library's complaints from shutting down my web server?

No.  The library is executing C code in the web server process.  There
is nothing stopping it from simply saying "exit()", or even segfaulting
and killing that process.  Note that it's just one process though, not
the whole server.  Not a big deal.

You can sort of work around this by using a reverse proxy to separate
your mod_perl server from your front-end web server.  This gives you a
scenario similar to CGI, and it's what FastCGI does, and Microsoft and
other commercial vendors make a big fuss about doing this.  However, the
only advantage to it is that you can return a prettier error message to
the user.  It won't prevent anyone from exiting a process.

- Perrin