On 27 Feb 2003 10:33:21 -0500
Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 08:42, Paolo Campanella wrote:
> > Pretend
> > for a moment that you have no specific knowledge of the library which
> > causes this problem: is there any black box approach to stopping some
> > library's complaints from shutting down my web server?
>
> No.  The library is executing C code in the web server process.  There
> is nothing stopping it from simply saying "exit()", or even segfaulting
> and killing that process.  Note that it's just one process though, not
> the whole server.  Not a big deal.

Thanks - that makes sense. I'll just live with making sure that it
doesn't happen. Just one thing though: when the process dies, it
really does take the main server process down with it:

[Thu Feb 27 17:55:04 2003] [alert] Child 8592 returned a Fatal error...
Apache is exiting!

The remaining child processes then hang around, useful until they
receive a similar, deadly request.

I'd be interested to know why the main Apache process shuts down.

Thanks