Haroon Rafique wrote:
On Today at 11:16am, SB=>Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

SB> FWIW, we are discussing the internal DBI pooling mechanism at the
SB> dbi-dev list and having already a sort-of-working prototype. So
SB> hopefully there will be no need for Apache::DBI in the near future, as
SB> DBI will be able to handle pooling internally. However it may take
SB> some time, as the drivers will have to adjust to support the new
SB> functionality.
SB> SB> You can see the thread here:
SB> http://archive.develooper.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/index.html#02118
SB> SB> Some working examples are attached to this message:
SB> http://archive.develooper.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg02134.html

Stas,

Thanks for your response.

I will try and keep up with the developments in the above-mentioned
threads. However, for now, I'll focus on your alternate solution as
mentioned below. If I find some free time (what are the chances?) I may
also give DBI::Pool a try under mp2.

I've already tried it and it works ;) However DBI::Pool won't have a life on its own and will be integrated into DBI itself and its DBD drivers.

SB> [..snip..]
SB> SB> If you apply the following patch (will commit it soon) against the modperl-2.0 SB> source, you will be able to use connect_on_init unmodified, assuming that SB> Apache::compat was loaded before Apache::DBI. Let me know whether it works for SB> you.

I'm happy to report that the patch to lib/Apache/compat.pm works. I did
not even have to use CVS versions of any of the packages.

Apache/2.0.44 (Gentoo/Linux) mod_perl/1.99_08 Perl/v5.8.0

I simply patched:
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux/Apache2/Apache/compat.pm
with your patch and connect_on_init works unmodified. And as mentioned in your email, I do have Apache::compat loaded before Apache::DBI.

Great. I've already committed that patch.

Perhaps Ask could load 'Apache::compat' inside Apache::DBI if mp2 is used. Or to use the mp2 API if mp2 is used.