> > sub handler {
> >     my $r = shift;
> >     my $uri = $r->the_request;
> >     return OK unless $r->is_initial_req; # stops dbl execution
>
> "Stops dbl execution" _after_ this point, of course. If you request a
> directory, the server will return an internal redirect to $dir/index.html
> (or whatever) -- that would make your handler run twice up to this point.

I'm not sure what you mean.
The reason that I put that code there is because if it's not there then the
accesshandler is always run twice.
There seems to be a subrequest triggering the accesshandler, yet I'm not
explicitly performing any subrequests.
Ideally I would like to find someway to trace the who/what/where/why of
handler execution. Running with PERL_TRACE left me none the wiser so I was
hoping a user might know a better way?

Richard.