Nick,

>     if ($r->lookup_uri($r->uri)->content_type =~ /image/) {
>         return Apache::DECLINED;
>     }
>

> Do you have this, or something similar, in your code?

    I greped my entire directory tree for any of the subrequest mechanisms
and the only place I am using them are in some handlers from a completely
different <Location>.

My access handler is essentially the same as the one from the eagle book but
with various modifications to suit my applications security requirements and
to use my own db/template objects. It doesn't use any subrequest mechanisms.
The only thing which it does which is affected by anything outside of its
immediate environment is call, $r->prev. This shouldn't call the
accesshandler though... should it?

Ric.