Mike> Here's my question: has anyone setup a clever way, possibly
Mike> using CRC/MD5 analysis, to check to make sure code hasn't been
Mike> changed?  I don't care if someone steals it or gives it to their
Mike> friends, but I don't want the code to yield results if it's been
Mike> modified - either intentionally or on accident - because it
Mike> could give false results.  These are sales guys machines which
Mike> (no offense to any sales people lurking on this list) means
Mike> anything can and probably will happen.  I realize that someone
Mike> could circumvent a CRC check just by changing the CRC check
Mike> number, but I'm not worried...  if they are that clever kudos to
Mike> them.

And are you also providing a way to set up those MD5s so that maintenance
can be performed by someone other than you if you get hit by a bus?

If not, then I'd not be paying you one dime if you were my vendor.

You make yourself irreplacable by providing a good product at a fair
price, not by holding your customer hostage so that they can only get
support through you.

This is the creed and core philosophy of open source.  Do not stand on
the shoulders of the giants who have gone before you and drool onto
their face.