On Friday 13 June 2003 13:57, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Since your question is too broad to be able to easily pinpoint any problems
> without spending some time with it, I'd suggest reading:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html
> if you haven't done that yet.

I have. Although it was several years ago now. Has much changed? I'll take a
look, but I haven't seen anything in there that correlates to the sort of
results I'm seeing. This isn't a perl load-time issue, and it's not a small
set slow-down - it's a percentage slow-down on pages of which can take up to
10 seconds to generate and return. It's something run-time, which is
different between mod_perl and FastCGI. It's bizarre...

> Have you heard of Apache::Reload.
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Reloading_Modules_and_Re
>quired_Files

I have now. How does it handle syntax errors? Does it kill the whole server,
keep the old module running, or just kill that module?

> > As a FastCGI, all I have to do to restart it is touch the main CGI file.
> > I also have tighter control on the number of FastCGI processes, which is
> > more useful for development.
>
> Looks like you may need to do some docs reading. You can easily get a total
> control over the number of mod_perl processes.  It's all described here:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html

Uh, yes, I can limit the Apache processes, but again, that will impact other
users on the system. Really, FastCGI does just what I want, and it means I
can write a module that works either as a FastCGI or a module. For content
modules, that's fine. I've written a myriad of access modules, loggers, trans
handlers, etc... For those, yes, they're mod_perl exclusives. But for some
purposes, I find FastCGI more efficient.

I'd almost be tempted to leave this app as a FastCGI - except for some places
we use it we stack with other mod_perl content handlers. And I'm just baffled
at this particular performance problem, since I have been through the
standard things to check for.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          [EMAIL PROTECTED] :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |