Ged -- Sorry I wasn't fully explicit, it is still
early in the morning:

> So your non-root user has write permission in
> /usr/src?  Hmmmm...

Rather than /usr/src, I put in /home/aprk

>   % make && make test && make install
>  This can't work, you need to be root to make
> install.

Yes, you are correct.  make && make test as non-root,
then install as root.  (Odd, isn't it, the docs at
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#A_Summary_of_a_Basic_mod_perl_Installation

don't make this explicit?)

> PS:
> Did you build your own Perl?

Yes, 5.8.0

> Have you cleaned up any old Apaches and mod_perls?
> (RH9 comes with Apache2, you probably want to get
> rid of that:).

Excellent point.   No.  There are probably hordes of
perls and hpptds and mod_perls running amok on the box
throwing wild parties;  I don't know.

I think my next step should be to start over fresh.
Again.

As a newbie, may I ask 4 basic questions:

[1] How do I find *everything* on the box related to
perl / apache / mod_perl, both 1 and 2, both the RH
install and from my own ftp / tar / make fumblings?

[2] How do I uninstall everything from [1], so I can
start fresh?

[3] I'd prefer to use modperl 2 and apache 2, as that
is what my ISP is using.  And I think I'd prefer to
use RH rpm to install them, as again, that is what my
ISP did.  (Want my dev box to match the outside box as
much as possible).  This newsgroup keeps mentioning
"build from sources," will I be going astray trying
the rpm route?

[4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I reinstall
RH itself?

Many thanks for your generosity explaining these
mysteries to a newcomer.

-- A