Hi there,

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> we're porting on AIX (4.3.3 and 5.2.0). The AIX boxes are
> supposed to be more powerful than their Linux equivalents,
> however the application is strangely slow on AIX

You don't give much to go on.  Are they really more powerful?

What does 'powerful' mean anyway?  What discs do you have and what
interfaces do they use, how much memory, what processors, speeds, how
many mod_perl processes, how big are they, are you getting into swap,
etc...?

Have you benchmarked some simple things on the boxes?

> So I'm asking for the common wisdom about performance issues on AIX.

I don't know anything worth writing about AIX but I'd look a little
deeper into what you're doing before you start blaming the OS.

> Currently the perl I use is built with gcc and default
> settings. Should I set -Dusemymalloc=y ?  Should I use the xlC or
> vac compilers ? Should I port everything to mod_perl 2 ?

To all those questions at this stage, my answer would be 'I doubt it'.
Find out about your systems first.  There are lots of tools to help
you do that.  Start by checking the relevant sections of the Guide for
more information about performance and benchmarking.  (Or look at the
little disc activity light. :)

73,
Ged.