Ged Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
>
> > we're porting on AIX (4.3.3 and 5.2.0). The AIX boxes are
> > supposed to be more powerful than their Linux equivalents,
> > however the application is strangely slow on AIX
>
> You don't give much to go on.  Are they really more powerful?
>
> What does 'powerful' mean anyway?  What discs do you have and what
> interfaces do they use, how much memory, what processors, speeds, how
> many mod_perl processes, how big are they, are you getting into swap,
> etc...?

Well, it's difficult to compare very different hardware, but basically
the AIX boxen have SCSI discs, more memory, etc. and they're a lot
more expensive ;-)

> Have you benchmarked some simple things on the boxes?

Benchmarking simple CPU-intensive perl scripts shows that they
tend to be consistently slower in user time on AIX.

Moreover if I survey CPU/memory usage on Linux and AIX (resp. with
top and vmstat / w) I see that the application doesn't swap memory
and that the load averages remains < 0.10.

> > So I'm asking for the common wisdom about performance issues on AIX.
>
> I don't know anything worth writing about AIX but I'd look a little
> deeper into what you're doing before you start blaming the OS.
>
> > Currently the perl I use is built with gcc and default
> > settings. Should I set -Dusemymalloc=y ?  Should I use the xlC or
> > vac compilers ? Should I port everything to mod_perl 2 ?
>
> To all those questions at this stage, my answer would be 'I doubt it'.
> Find out about your systems first.  There are lots of tools to help
> you do that.  Start by checking the relevant sections of the Guide for
> more information about performance and benchmarking.  (Or look at the
> little disc activity light. :)

Thanks, I'll dig deeper.