On 9/12/03 at 2:54 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ged Haywood) wrote:

> > Benchmarking simple CPU-intensive perl scripts shows that they
> > tend to be consistently slower in user time on AIX.
>
> Assuming that the boxes aren't otherwise heavily loaded, I wonder
> about the options used to compile your Perl.  For x86 architecture,
> things like -mcpu=i386 will make a binary that you could run on a
> steam engine but it won't be able to take advantage of the richer
> instruction set on newer processors.  I don't have a great deal of
> experience with other modern processors, but from the gcc 3.2.3
> documentation:
>
> "GCC defaults to `-maix32'"
>
> and there's a '-maix64' that may be worth a look, along with the rest
> of the section ('info gcc' if you have it).
>
> Optimisation may also be an issue, but use caution.  Many packages
> (e.g. the Linux kernel sources :) warn against anything more than
> using -O2 with gcc for example.

I think it's pretty useless to speculate as to causes until he clarifies what
"strangely slow" means and what AIX and linux hardware he's comparing. I've got
a lot of experience with mod_perl on both linux and AIX and can state
categorically that there are no typical conditions which would cause AIX run
"strangely slowly" compared to linux on comparable hardware.

Bill