On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Chris Shiflett wrote:

> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Chris Shiflett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Modperl List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
>
> --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > BTW, I programmed a mod_perl based BBS system for a site. It got
> > almost 200,000 (!) unique IP hits every day with the dual set-up
> > (plain apache + mod_perl). This might be an example where others
> > such as php and java servlet can't compete. Right?
>
> Not in my opinion. Both PHP and mod_perl are mature enough that
> performance differences are more likely to be due to the design of an
> application rather than the language it is written in.
>
> I've written applications in PHP that currently handle over 10 million
> requests a day (the environment consists of four servers), and there's
> still room to grow. With a compiler cache and an intelligent design
> (including data storage), PHP can handle just about anything (look at
> Yahoo).
>
> I personally think mod_perl's strengths are in its rich feature set. Only
> after watching a few of Geoff's talks (and one of Stas's) did I realize
> exactly what PHP developers are missing. They speak about things like
> ties, closures, and globs. Plus, PHP is limited to the content generation
> phase, so mod_perl has a pretty big advantage there. Geoff describes
> mod_perl as the Apache API in Perl. While this is probably obvious to all
> of you, it's not something I realized on my own.

This sounds like a perfect example of mod_perl lacking "PR". MP had an
almost full set of features from Apache from day 1. And it was easy to
add one when you need it (Doug did this for me, for example). Had you
known about mod_perl first, would you have gone to the PHP camp?

PHP has been patched again and again "stealing" MP features. I don't
have a deep knowledge of PHP, but I have serious doubt about it, from
my experience running one server using it. I don't intend to start a
flame war here, but just want to share my own experience. And the point
is that there is need for some more PR for mod_perl.

When you go to httpd.apache.org, you can hardly find mod_perl
mentioned.  Even mod_python is there. :-( This is not good for
mod_perl.

Any idea about the share of mod_perl in the server market recently?

Regards,

Jie