Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>  My only gripe with the mp2
>> release candidates is that I would have liked to see a few production
>> mp2 releases on CPAN before its mp1 indexing starts to disappear.
>
> Sure, you can ask Andreas to not index mp2 and any other 3rd party
> modules. But why making mp2 users suffer?
>
> I still can't understand the definition of 'a few production
> releases'. How will you know when it's OK to switch the direction of
> the blade and make the mp1 users suffer?

When the conversation changes from "Why did you guys do that?" to
"When will you guys do that?".  By putting one or two official mp2
releases "out there" that don't have the mp1 reindexing snafu,
we're saying "mp2 is ready to rock now, but you may still have
to dig a little bit to find it on CPAN.  However, that'll be
changing in the next release or so."

It may be a bit easier to get our volunteer "broadcast network" to
lament mp1's eventual passing, yet still deliver the message above
faithfully.  I'm not sure that will happen with the current release
plan, and that's not a great way to kick off mp2's coming-out party.

> Will you then go and notify the mp2 users: "we favor you now, please
> come back and use the CPAN tools" and notify the mp1 users: "excuse
> us, but mp1 was phased out, and we no longer support it via CPAN, so
> please find and download modules manually from now on"

Nope, not at all.  It's about giving the entire community
a chance to embrace the production version of mp2, and also to
disseminate its implications for mp1 far and wide.  Nobody's
kicking mp1 out the door, but without some grace period to
digest the changes, I'm worried many people may react that way.

> Originally the _RC1 vs -RC1 was a slip, but I'm glad that it has
> happened earlier and not when 2.0.0 was released, since it has raised
> the problems earlier. And since we have mp2.0.0 scheduled for the
> beginning of January, that RC1 slip doesn't make much difference
> time-wise.

+1, it's good to discuss everything now, rather than after the release.

--
Joe Schaefer